Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Doll Blanket for My Niece

A few weeks ago it was my niece's 2nd birthday. I always buy my niece and nephew a book and some clothes and one toy. She loves pink and horses. I had picked up a pair of pink rainboots at the local Hatley outlet for her. I'd also found some pj shorts that were pink with horses on them at the same store so I got her a size 2 and a size 3 so she has a pair for now and a pair for next summer. I also had an outfit for her for next summer. That took care of the clothes (all that for under $20 - I love bargains!). I looked at every store in the area for a cute stuffed horse but couldn't find one. I did find a My Little Pony baby. I was pretty sure she would like that so I got that for her. The only thing was her baby needed a blankie. I've had some charm sqaures for awhile and knew I wanted to make her a doll blanket. I just sewed the charms together and used some really soft pink minky that I had bought a year or so ago . I sewed them right sides together leaving an opening for turning. Once I'd turned it right sides out I top stitched around the edges. I decided to leave it and not quilt it since I was running out of time and the minky was quite hard to sew to the pieced top. Even while I was topstiching around the edges it was hard to keep it from slipping around.

No comments: