Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pattern Review - Newlook 6496

Pattern Photo (View A):New Look Pattern Info
I've had this pattern for awhile and have made another view. A few weeks ago I bought some baby cord at Fabricland for $3/metre and knew I just had to use this pattern. The skirt was made last weekend and I had to wear it on Monday. It was a little cold here for a skirt, but I do have a long coat. The only problem was I don't have dressy winter boots, so I had to wear shoes. That was cold on the feet on the walk from the car to work, but it was worth it.

Fabric: Corduroy

Pattern Description: A-line skirt, 6 panels.

Pattern Sizing: 8-18 Newlook patterns tend to make up bigger than the indicated measurements on the back of the pattern envelope. I measured my waist and hips and cut a size smaller than I would need according to the measurements, as I have used this pattern before and found I had to take the finished skirt in a bit. Even with cutting a size smaller than I measure, I still needed to take in the skirt this time, so it wouldn't fall to the ground as I walked.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love that this pattern was easy to follow and had good descriptions and drawings to follow. What I don't like about the pattern is that the measurements on the back of the pattern envelope that you would use to help determine the size to cut aren't accurate. I would measure as a size 14, but I cut a size 12 and could easily have cut a size 8 instead.
Fabric Used: CorduroyPattern

Alterations or any design changes you made: I cut out View B, but did not use the band for view B, as I wanted the skirt to be a solid black. It was still too long for me and I had to cut another 4 inces off the bottom to have it come just below the knee.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. I plan to make one in a light cotton for the summer as well. I have made View D before and really like that skirt as well. I would recommend this pattern. A beginner could easily make this skirt, maybe not as a first project as there is a zipper. I would cut at least a size smaller than what you measure according to the measurements on the back of the pattern envelope.

Conclusion: An easy, quick to whip up skirt that looks great and is easy to wear.

No comments: