Friday, February 6, 2009

Pattern Review - Fleece Pullover

Project Photo:photo
Pattern Photo:Simplicity 3651
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend


Fabric: Fleece

Pattern Description: Pullover for boys and men. Pattern has several options. There is a hood or just a collar, with velcro closures. Optional flap pocket on front. Elastic can be inserted on sleeve at cuff and on bottom or just have a regular hem.

Pattern Sizing: Boys' size S-L and Men's size S-XL. I made a Men's size L. To be sure I got the sizing correct I measured one of my husband's fleece pullovers at the chest, since I've never made a Men's pullover in any Simplicity pattern prior to this.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. I did make View A, but did not include the front flap pocket. The picture makes it look a little wonky since it's hung on a hanger, but when it is on it is straight.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. Between the pictures and the written directions, I was able to make this in about 3-hours. At the time I did not have a serger.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It was pretty easy to understand, however more clearly described instructions or more pictures would be good for a beginner.

Fabric Used: Polar Fleece. I used quite a thick polar fleece and without a serger the stitches sometimes skipped when the fabric was too thick.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made View A, but just left off the front flap pocket.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would definitely sew this again and am planning on making both of my boys a pullover in the camo fleece since I have a lot leftover. When they saw Daddy's sweater, they wanted one right away.
I would recommend this pattern. On the envelope it says easy-to-sew, which it was, however I would recommend this for the Advance Beginner as there is some twill tape to be added to the collar facing to stop chaffing. That step can be a bit intimidating for a beginner.

Conclusion: Love this pattern and with so many options it can be made over and over again with a different look acheived.

No comments: